Life Support Rate Application (PDF)
MLS Rate Application in Large Font (PDF, Large Font)
MLS Rate Application - Spanish (PDF)
IRS Form 4506-T - Request for Copy of Tax Return (PDF)
(See Sample IRS Form 4506-T)
Customers who need electricity for life-sustaining devices may qualify for 50 percent off the first 500 kilowatthours used during each residential billing cycle.
Modesto Irrigation District (MID ) offers a
discount rate for qualified customers who are dependent
on medical life support devices at home or who
have a condition or disease that requires special
heating or air conditioning. This discount cuts
in half the cost of the first 500 kilowatthours
(kWh) of electricity used in each billing cycle.
The discount is for only the first 500 kWh of
Download and print the MLS Application above.
- Complete and sign the first page of the application.
- Ask your doctor to complete and sign the the second page of the application.
- Include proof of one month's income received within the last three months for everyone in your household.
- Complete one IRS Form 4506-T above for every adult (18 years or older) in your household.
- You can mail or ask your doctor’s office to mail the completed application form and supporting documentation to:
ATTN: Medical Life Support Rate
Modesto Irrigation District
P.O. Box 4060
Modesto, CA 95352-4060
When MID has received and approved both parts of your completed application, we will send you a letter to say that you are now on the Medical Life Support rate.
Questions? Call MID at (209)
526-7435 or toll free at
You may qualify if:
- Your household income is at or below the current District guideline of $5,525 per month. Effective 01/01/2019
- You (or a full-time member of your household) use a life support device. This is a piece of medical equipment that sustains your life or gives you mobility. You must use the medical device at home. The device must be electric and must use electricity supplied by MID.
- You (or a full-time member of your household) have a qualified medical condition that requires special heating or air conditioning needs.
You need to know:
- You must pay your electric bill on time each
month to avoid having your power shut off.
If MID turns your electricity off because you
did not pay your bill, you are responsible
for providing electric power to run your life
- You are responsible for backup power to run your life support device during power outages. MID does not and cannot give you a 100 percent guarantee that you will have electric service at all times. We strongly recommend that you have a backup power supply for your life support device. This will keep the life support device running even if MID power is out.
- You must fill out new application for Medical Life Support Rate each year. MID will let you know when it is time to do this.
- See MID Rates for full MLS Rate details. (PDF)
Some documents are in PDF format. To read them you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer. Download a free version of it from Adobe's web site.
- Call (209)
526-7435 or toll free at (866) 645-6625.